Wednesday 26 January 2011

Off to sunny Spain...

So I've been in Madrid for 12 days now and decided it was about time I started up this blog again, so voila (not exactly a Spanish word but I don't know the equivalent!)

I headed out here straight from Lyon because I had too much stuff to take it all away with me before Christmas, and I was still packing at 3am when I needed to be up at 6am to get myself to the airport...not one of the best ideas I've ever had! I was so tired and stressed at my lack of Spanish language that I went to bed that night in tears...I just wanted to be back in Lyon or England where I could at least manage to complete a sentence.

My parents came out to Madrid with another suitcase for me and for which I love them dearly. It also meant that I got to spend a few days exploring Madrid with them: we went to town a few times, saw the Royal Palace and the Real Madrid stadium:





I think having them here those few days helped me to settle in a little bit, but once they were gone it was like there was a hole, and the realisation that I was going to be spending so long here really hit home and got me a bit down for a few days. The last few days I've been feeling quite a bit better about everything though, and the week seems to be speeding by at the moment, so I'm hoping I was getting myself wound up about nothing. My wage is due to arrive any day now, so my weekends of travelling will be getting under way which is brilliant!


I've done a little bit of exploring since they left too...Hannah and I went to Parque del Retiro on Monday which was good...it's really big and pretty, but I still think that Parc de la tete d'Or in Lyon just about has the edge on it.



As for my accommodation, it's lovely. It's nothing like the size of the house in Lyon, but my room's cute and I can literally set off at 8:57 for work and be there at 9:00. There's a metro station just up the street, a Carrefour opposite my building and a bar in my building, so I have absolutely everything I could need :)



As for work, it's going quite well. I taught my first actual lesson today which didn't go as well as it could have done: the kids had just been singing and dancing, we were pushed for time, and they didn't really settle down enough to get into it. But we're revising it tomorrow when they'll be quieter, so fingers crossed. I've been with the same class of 5 year olds all the time so far, and they're really nice. I love the fact that if I don't understand what they're saying to me in Spanish, I can just shush them and make them get on with their work...they don't need to know my Spanish is rubbish :P

Talking about my lack of Spanish, I've messaged an 'Academia' tonight to try and enrol myself in evening classes for Spanish. They can be expensive but this one only works out at 22.50 euros per week, so hopefully they've got some spaces free!

I think that's all for now, keep your eyes peeled for more news of life in Spain! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment